Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sinister

I finally got to see Sinister last night which is now available to rent or buy, thank you Redbox.  I've been hyped up for this movie since last October so my expectations were very high and I heard nothing but good things from this movie.  Let me tell you that my expectations were a little too high.  The basic premise of this movie is a family moves into a house because the husband is a writer and he's writing his next big hit about a true life murder.  As they are moving in he finds a box in the attic with old super 8 rolls of movie film and a projector.  As he's watching them each one has a horrible murder of a family.  He starts to research these films and during this search he comes across a man hidden in each film.  Who is this man, why did he make these films, and what does he want?  The movie does have some cool aspects in the story that I didn't expect.  If you've seen Insidious it reminded a little of that.  Sinister was a good movie but it just wasn't that scary.  It made me jump once or twice but didn't fully creep me out.  I like the found footage aspect of the movie, they were very short scenes and made it still feel like a normal horror movie.  Majority of the scary moments in this movie were expected, mostly because of them being in the trailer which seems to be the downfall of most movies now.  It stars Ethan Hawke (Training Day, Daybreakers ).

I give this movie 3.5 stars.  I might have been disappointed but it was still a good scary movie with a couple of unexpected plot lines.  I recommend it

No comments:

Post a Comment