Saturday, May 11, 2013

Hemlock Grove (2013)


For the past 2 weeks I’ve been watching a Netflix original series produced by Eli Roth called Hemlock Grove.  It stars Famke Janseen (X-men),  Lili Taylor (The Haunting), and many new comers.  Since Eli Roth is behind it there are some pretty bloody and gory parts.  This is a supernatural show revolving around a girl who is murdered from some sort of wild animal.  As the town searches for the murderer, suspects from the town they all start to reveal who they really are and the secrets start coming out at every corner.   Nobody is who they seem, you start to wonder what kind of supernatural entities certain characters are.  It takes awhile for the truth to get out and they do seem to draw out pretty much all of the stories.  I get the idea of drawing it out to build character stories and deeper storylines, but sometimes there’s not enough to keep it interesting.  I will say that if you do enjoy the first few that you should keep watching.  There is a catch to this series though that I will warn you about, there’s not much pay off on the season finale.  About 2 question gets answered and that’s about it.  One cool thing that did get me hooked was seeing a supernatural transformation.  This only happens twice throughout the season which was kind of disappointing, I would’ve loved seeing it a few more times throughout but you deal with what you get.  Each episode is about 45 minutes and there are 13 episodes to the season.   They do end it on a sort of what is going to happen next ending and left a lot of questions for viewers.  So I would say that I’m anticipating a second season on Netflix.  This is only available on Netflix instant, but definitely worth a shot if you’re into the whole supernatural aspect of it.
I do recommend this show, but it does drag on and can be very slow at times.
I give it a 4.0 for keeping me wondering what would happen next and the finale keeps me asking for more
and wanting to know the secrets of Hemlock Grove. 


No comments:

Post a Comment